SyntaxHighlighter Plus is a WordPress plugin for code syntax highlighting. It is an enhanced version of the original SyntaxHighlighter by Matt, Viper007Bond and mdawaffe. Please give them a big applause for making such a great plugin!
SyntaxHighlighter allows you to easily post syntax highlighted code all without loosing it’s formatting or making an manual changes.
It supports the following languages (the alias for use in the post is listed next to the name):
- Bash —
- C++ —
- C# —
- CSS —
- Delphi —
- Diff —
- Groovy —
- Java —
- Perl —
- PHP —
- Plain text —
- Python —
- Ruby —
- Scala —
- SQL —
- VB —
- XML/HTML —
Other BBCode Methods
too long to type? Here’s some alternative examples:
Note: Quotation marks around the language can be omitted for even shorter and neater syntax. 🙂
Updgrading From A Previous Version
To upgrade from a previous version of this plugin, delete the entire folder and files from the previous version of the plugin and then follow the installation instructions below.
- Starting from WordPress 2.7, plugin upgrades are handled by WordPress, there is no need to manually upload files.
Important: If you have made any changes to the CSS file, please make sure to back it up before upgrade!
Uploading The Plugin
Extract all files from the ZIP file, making sure to keep the file structure intact, and then upload it to
This should result in the following file structure:
- wp-content - plugins - syntaxhighlighter-plus | readme.txt | syntaxhighlighter.php - syntaxhighlighter - scripts | clipboard.swf | shBrushBash.js | shBrushCpp.js | shBrushCSharp.js | [...] | shCore.js | shLegacy.js - src | shCore.js | shLegacy.js - styles | SyntaxHighlighter.css
Go to the admin area of your WordPress install and click on the “Plugins” menu. Click on “Activate” for the “SyntaxHighlighter” plugin.
Just wrap your code in
. The language attribute is required! See the plugin’s description for a list of valid language attributes.
- The BBCode in my post is being replaced with <pre>’s just fine, but I don’t see the syntax highlighting!
Make sure your theme’s footer has
- I still see the BBCode in my post. What gives?
Make sure you correctly use the BBCode with a valid language attribute. A malformed usage of it won’t result in replacement.
- I use the visual editor, my code has lots of line breaks inserted, what do I do?
Use ‘shift + return’ instead of ‘return’ when changing lines.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
მონაწილეები & დეველოპერები
“SyntaxHighlighter Plus” ღია პროგრამული უზრუნველყოფაა. შემდეგმა ადამიანებმა წვილი შეიტანეს მის განვითარებაში.მონაწილეები
- Upgraded SyntaxHighlighter to 2.0.296
- Added automatic SSL detection (thanks to g30rg3_x)
- Added anti-XSS and XSRF (thanks to g30rg3_x)
- Language aliases fix
- Code clean up
- Upgraded the core engine to SyntaxHighlighter 2.0
- Added configuration: themes
- Added PHP as the default language if no language is specified (e.g.
- Fixed a bug in the Bash highlighting code which caused conflicts between keywords and variables highlights
- Ported SyntaxHighlighter 1.1.1 changes: ‘Encode single quotes so
wptexturize()doesn’t transform them into fancy quotes and screw up code.’
- CSS fixes for IE6
- enhanced CSS
- Fixed the IE scroll bar issue (backup your CSS file before upgrade!)
- Changed plugin folder to ‘syntaxhighlighter-plus’.
Version 0.12 (broken)
- Appeared on the WordPress plugins site.
- Fixed readme.txt.
- Cleaned up the files.
- Added more syntax variants.
- Initial release!