Impressive and useful bundle of customizations, no need to write a single line of code, works well.
Four stars because the pluging is not tested further than v. 4.7.9 even if it always works with the latest WP version.
This plugin (attempts to) create a twenty seventeen child theme so that customization to certain template parts (e.g., footer.php) can be done. However, there are several design issues with the approach being used - and for some users they will make the plugin unusable. This is unfortunate because the plugin functionality is otherwise very useful, and most of the code is well done.
Here are the most significant issues:
1) The plugin attempts to create a child theme using the base twenty seventeen theme, even if a child theme is already in use.
2) The plugin attempts the creation of the child theme in the /plugins directory rather than in a server writeable directory (such as /blogs.dir). Since the (plugin) child theme can't be created the customized footer.php (or whatever) template part isn't updated to reflect the custom copyright notice.
3) Making the /plugins directory server writable is a security issue and so it isn't an option for many users.
4) The plugin is not multisite aware.
5) You are limited to one customization of the twenty seventeen theme.
Perhaps the developer will re-architect this otherwise promising plugin and make an updated version available.
After you install and activate the plugin, don't forget to go into the WordPress Plugins page and click the link near the top of the page that makes Twenty-Seventeen become an Advanced Child Theme. Here is what the link looks like:
Advanced Twenty Seventeen plugin: Please click here to create advanced child theme for Twenty Seventeen
It won't work right if you don't do it. And furthermore, if something doesn't work, just uninstall the plugin and reinstall it. It works great and makes everything easy.
It is likely that people with negative reviews or problems just didn't set it up right.
I am back to tell you that I am now installing this plugin on the rest of my forty (40) websites, It has been helping me remove "Proudly powered by WordPress" on my sites, insert a copyright notice, as well as helping me build child themes and other tricks. It is working flawlessly.
It appears I had a bad install somehow when I first added Advanced Twenty Seventeen to WordPress. That first time it did not work, so I uninstalled it and left a negative rating. Four days later, frustrated with Twenty Seventeen I came back and tried Advanced Twenty Seventeen again. Everything worked perfectly. It is amazing. I can truly say that this plugin is fabulous, and I don't know how I could get along without it.